For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!
This was RIDICULOUSLY HARD. There was so many factors to consider --- like length of time on the island (would this be like Survivor game show length or Gilligan's Island length?) and would I want something familiar that would comfort me or would I want something NEW?
Because I Would Need Some Chunky Books To Pass The Time
2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck: I have had this on my shelf for forever and REALLY want to read it but I'm so darn intimidated by it.
3. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: In addition to its thickness, I can't die without reading Charles Dickens.
Because I Would Need An Adventure
3. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien: It's a big book plus one of the most epic adventures. It took me freaking forever just to watch the movies and they were the longest movies I'd ever seen. BUT AMAZING. On a deserted island, I could read the adventure for myself.
4. Harry Potter by JK Rowling: Ok, firstly. I'm cheating and making this one choice. It's my shipwreck, I CAN DO THAT. ALSO...ummm...I'm trying to hide this under the title of "adventure" when really it should be that I don't think a human being should be stranded on an island and have to think about how they might die never reading one of the most POPULAR series EVER.
Because I'm Going To Need To Remember How Awesome Love Is
5. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen: Nothing can make me swoon & clutch my chest like a little Elizabeth & Darcy. Plus it's a favorite so there's that. Really I'd just want the Complete Works of Jane Austen so that I could finish reading the ones I haven't read!
6. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks: Yeah. I'm a sap but I love The Notebook and I love their romance and it'd be a guaranteed ugly cry.
Because I'm Going To Need Books That Make Me Happy
7. Either Lola & The Boy Next Door or Anna & The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: Her books MAKE ME HAPPY. And plus their is swoony romances. Lola was my favorite but I'd also be daydreaming about Paris.
8. Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty: This book has made me laugh out loud like NO OTHER. I'd need to laugh...and not like maniacal laughter as a result of going crazy. Just the giggles that Jessica Darling's brain gives me.
Because I'm Going To Die Anyways SO WTF-EVER
9. Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James: YEAH, I went there. Why would I bring this as one of ten books I may ever be able to touch again?? WELL. As someone who hasn't read this book, 1) it would be new to me 2) If I'm going to die..I may as well die knowing why the craze is happening 3) I COULD get a good laugh out of it which YAY ENDORPHINS 4) Let's say I fall in love with it like others I know...YAY ROMANCE & SEXYTIMES 5) If all else fails and it really is as god awful as I've heard it is and that I THINK it probably is...I COULD USE IT FOR FIRE! Fire = key to survival. And then if I can survive I can read ALL OF THE BOOKS to get that book out of my mind. It's a win-win really.
Because I Need To TRY To Survive So I Can Come Home & Read ALL OF THE BOOKS
10. How to Survive Anywhere: A Guide for Urban, Suburban, Rural, and Wilderness Environments by Christopher Nyerges: Hopefully there would be useful things in here to help me survive and the non-applicable part would be used for fire. WARMTH!
So there you have it! These are the books that I'd be left with on a deserted island. I didn't want to just go with favorites but with things that would get my mind off it by being longer or something I've never read..mixed in there with a couple faves.
Boy that was hard...the only deserted island I want to end up on is one that involves Jeff Probst and some hunky men who can build me shelter and I can potentially win a million dollars.