Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves With Ginger From GReads!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
This week the LOVELY Ginger from GReads is doing a guest post Top Ten Tuesday about her top ten bookish pet peeves because we ran into a jam here on the blog this week with Top Ten Tuesday and Ginger volunteered to step up so I could have this for you all in a timely manner :)
Next week-- Top Ten Authors That Deserve More Recognition
1. Happy Endings. Wait, before you think I am some depressed person I am referring to the overly cheesy cliche happy endings. I like to read books that are real & guess what's not real? Happy endings. Ok so maybe I do sound a bit depressed lol.
2. Whiny Characters. Nothing annoys me more when the MC goes off on tangents, whining about off topic subject matters. Stick with the story people! & quit your griping!
3. Too Much Detail. I tend to lose interest in a story when an author describes a shirt for 3 pages. I'd like to know what the shirt looks like, but I don't necessarily need to understand the shirt's feelings.
4. Grammatical Errors. Yes, I understand we are all human & mistakes can be made. But it bugs me when I find words misspelled, or the wrong use of punctuation while I am reading. And before anyone starts to critique this blog post, I never claimed to be a published author :-)
5. Plot Holes. I find it frustrating when I am reading & just when I start to immerse myself in a story, the plot shifts to something else & I am left completely hanging on what just happened. Finish one thought before jumping to the next.
6. Smelly Books. I purchase all my books & sometimes I go the cheap way & buy from used bookstores, which there is nothing wrong with. When the book arrives smelling like stale cigarette smoke & garlic, then there's all kinds of things wrong with it.
7. 10,000 Books Series. Ok so I have never heard of a series being that long, but one of my pet peeves is when a story gets dragged on forever & ever. I feel compelled to read it though because I want to know how it ends. But do I really have to go through all 847 books first?
8. Unidentifiable Genres. Yes, this has happened to me before. I thought I was reading a contemporary piece & then all of a sudden there were talks of vampires. I'm sorry, what? That just ruined the whole story for me & I was completely lost after that.
9. Hyped-Up Books. I love twitter & I love my bookish friends. But when a new book gets SO much hype, it tends to make me want to wait awhile before I read it. It's like the shiny new toy that everyone wants, but I'll just hang out in the background with the used beat up toys for a bit ;-)
10. Readers/Reviewers Who Love Every Book. No you don't. Don't be afraid to have a negative opinion about a book. Isn't that what we're here for? to be honest? You can be respectful & tasteful & still not like a book.