Hello everyone!!! We are planning a Secret Santa exchange again --broke and bookish style. We did it for the past four years and it was a TON of fun, we've had SO many participants and we got great feedback from everyone! We want this to be a low key and fun Secret Santa that doesn't put too much of a damper on your wallet.
Please only sign up if you are truly interested and are committed to sending off a package. We have only had a few problems in the past 4 years but I'd like to not have to spend my time chasing people down -- seriously. It's a bummer for the person who doesn't get a package and a bummer for me to have to hunt you down for months after.
Things You Need To Do
1. Send an email BEFORE November 14th (meaning 11:59pm EST on the 13th though if they slip in the wee hours of the morning while I'm sleeping I'm okay) to TBTBSecretSanta (at) gmail (dot) com with the answers to the following questions:
- Full Name & Address
- Blog URL (also any other social media accounts you might want to share to help your secret Santa out)
- Would you be able to send internationally if needed? Please answer with Yes, No or Would prefer not to but will if needed (if you are outside of US and Canada just know I can't guarantee that you will get somewhere even remotely close to you. I try to work it geographically for you but it all depends where people are from).
- Which closely resembles what kind of package you are wanting to send out (I'm trying to pair similar expectations together this year):
a) 1 book and a small gift/candy
b) 1-2 books and some goodies
c) 2-3 books and goodies
- List 10 books you'd like to read or a link to a wishlist (please mix it up with older and new releases -- aka maybe things that aren't just available in hardcover right now). DO NOT ASK FOR ARCS please. If your SS wants to throw some in there because they saw it on your Goodreads or something that's fine but once we had someone ask for mostly ARCs.
- List of your bookish preferences (a few fave authors, your fave genres, things you WILL NOT READ, does not prefer used books, if you are okay with them not getting you something on your wishlist if they think you will like it etc.)
- Please give a few things you like/about yourself (to help with your goodie). See below for examples in the guidelines.
- Any questions, comments or additional things your Secret Santa should know.
2. When you receive your Secret Santa, go play Santa and buy your prezzies. Send it out no later than December 15th. The earlier the better as the mail is always slow during the holiday season.
3. After you send off your package, please email TBTBSecretSanta (at) gmail (dot) com letting us know you sent it off WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION (changing it this year, sorry!). Email us again when you receive your package. (Unless there are questions, I will not be responding to these emails due to time but will filing them away). If you have not received your package by January 1st please then email us and I will attempt to contact your Secret Santa. Please understand I will try my damndest to work it out but there is only so much I can do in the event someone decides to be naughty. Karma is a biotch though..maybe they'll get their toes run over by Santa's sleigh.
4. FOR EXTRA FUN: Thanks to Estelle from Rather Be Reading for this idea last year which was SOOOO fun! We are going to use the hashtag #TBTBSanta on Twitter & Instagram for this event! We'd love to hear and see through pictures and tweets your entire process -- maybe a sneak peek of your Secret Santa skills in action (a picture of something you are sending, the wrapped picture, the box) and we'd LOVE to see your goodies as you get them!
* Books can be new or used. Use your discretion as far as used books go but please be kind and don't send something you wouldn't want to receive. They should be in VERY good condition -- like you can't even tell if it was read. Please pick at least one other goody to put in the package.
So a typical package looks something like this:
1 or 2 books + some sort of little goodie or two (candy, bookmarks, something bookish) & a card or note.
* Suggestions for things to add that could be helpful to tell your Secret Santa for the little gift: things like music you love, if you celebrate Christmas, hobbies you have, things you will not eat/are allergic to, Harry Potter/Star Wars/etc. fan, things you collect, favorite, would love something native to where your Secret Santa lives, tea fanatic, loves stationary, loves chocolate, etc. etc. Also maybe if you have an e-reader and would be willing to get ebooks or a gift card. That way maybe they can find something related. Just really anything relevant to your interests that could help them.
*We would love to again have this be open internationally and will make an effort to pair up people from the same countries to keep costs down. However, if anyone would like to do an international exchange, you can let us know. It was hard on some people who had to send internationally but using The Book Depository could be a good option. If you are from outside the US, be aware that you might have to send internationally due to the fact that there are significantly more US participants and we may not be able to pair you up with someone closer.
* Feel free to grab the button to put on your sidebar or make your own!
Please ask any questions in the comments!!
I just started following you guys, but this looks like fun. Will have to think about doing this!ReplyDelete
This looks like fun. I have an email drafted, and I hope to be able to sign up. My pay isn't exactly great right now. :(ReplyDelete
Thanks for hosting! I tweeted about the event and sent my email with all the deets. Please let me know asap who I'll be paired with . That is my only concern.ReplyDelete
I won't start pairing until signups close on the 14th.Delete
Weeeee! email sent I so excited to do this and really want to go all out but is there like a monetary cap i should worry about. Please let me know Brittany @kalebsmomeReplyDelete
No monetary cap!Delete
Weeeee I've done this the past 2 years and always have so much fun with it! I'll send my email in soon :)ReplyDelete
I've decided to participate for the first time this year! I'm excited!!ReplyDelete
Do we have to have a blog to participate? Thanks!ReplyDelete
Nope just link to a Twitter or a Goodreads or something!Delete
Signed up, I'm so excited!!!! - meghannReplyDelete
I'm all signed up! Very much looking forward to it. Love the holidays! xoxo! EricaReplyDelete
Wow! What a great idea. It sounds like a lot of work for you Jaimie so thank you so much for doing this.ReplyDelete
Question: what exactly do you mean with the "with delivery confirmation"? Does that mean you have to include some kind of document that confirms the package is on its way? I feel kind of stupid asking this, since it'll probably be completely clear to all of the Americans/Brits, but I'm not really familiar with English mail terminology, haha.ReplyDelete
This looks like so much fun, though, I'll definitely be participating.
It's typically a service that will give you a tracking number. It just helps confirm you sent it if a problem arises with a package.Delete
Do you just want us to email the tracking code to the above email address so you can keep track of them?Delete
Oooh, I'm definitely signing up this year! I wanted to do it last year, but came across it too late so this will be my first year! I'm super excited :DReplyDelete
Signed up - this should be fun! :DReplyDelete
So, I've just signed up! So excited since it's gonna be my first year joining! =DReplyDelete
Sounds so awesome and fun, I just sent my email! Can't wait to participate :)ReplyDelete
Sounds fantastic! I just sent my email :)ReplyDelete
-dee @ The Book Curmudgeon
Just sent mine. It's my first year and I can't wait!ReplyDelete
Already sent my e-mail! I'm so excited x3ReplyDelete
thanks for doing this!
This sounds like such fun, I'm definitely going to sign up!ReplyDelete
Excited for this swap--missed it last year so am looking forward to participating this time around!ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
This sounds like so much fun! I'm glad I stumbled across it this year. :DReplyDelete
Looking forward to getting my reply after the 14th with the info of who I get to surprise. Just sent my email off to join in.ReplyDelete
This sounds fun! I've never done anything like this, but it sounds like a fun way to interact with the blogging community! Signing up now!ReplyDelete
I'm so excited about this! It looks like it will be a lot of fun! :DReplyDelete
Can't do this because I just saw it today, but just a thought, the book sellers I've been talking to recently say Oct/Nov is when they get the most signings scheduled. Most bookstores have the policy as long as you buy something from them you can bring whatever from home and I've yet to attend an event where an author had a limit on items. If you wanted to make it so a Santa could do a personalized signed book as an option for their gift starting your name exchange earlier, just saying.ReplyDelete
Ahh it sucks that I just saw this now would have loved to do it as I usually do it every year.ReplyDelete
Darn it! The time slipped away on me this year and I somehow missed this. It'll be the first year I've missed since you started doing it. :-(ReplyDelete
I was wondering why I hadn't gotten you as my Secret Santa giftee! ;)Delete
Dang it - looks like I missed out on this!ReplyDelete
Oh no! I literally just found out about this! :( Next year for sure!ReplyDelete
Aw man, I wish I came across this sooner! I hope next year I'll be able to!ReplyDelete
This looks like to much fun. I really hope to participate next year. I am doing the Redditgifts one this year.ReplyDelete
Are we linking to our blog posts anywhere? I got my package this week and LOVE IT!!! Thank you, Kaylee.ReplyDelete
Aw man, I can't believe I just missed out on this... again -.-' Oh well, next year!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for organising the Secret Santa. It was the first year I participated and it was great fun. I really enjoyed it. Thank you and all the best for 2015.ReplyDelete
Here is my loot! http://travellinpenguin.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/what-wonderful-secret-santa-who-visited.html
Thank you for organising this. It was the first time I participated and I really enjoyed it. Here is my loot and all the best for 2015 !ReplyDelete