Friday, May 31, 2013
Daisy Talks About the BEA Blues
So if you're part of the book blogging community, you might have heard about this thing called Book Expo America, or BEA. You might also know that it's happening right now in NYC. And if you're not there, like me, you might also be feeling some BEA blues: the gloomy thoughts because of all the awesomeness that's happening and wishing you were there instead of at home, staring at your Twitter timeline...
There are some ways in which this can be handled:
1. Avoid all social media and blogs for the duration of the event: so as not to get too envious of your blogging friends meeting each other, the authors they're seeing, the ARCs they're getting...
This doesn't really work for me, but it might for some people.
2. Make a list with all the reasons why it's better to NOT be there: with stuff like 'at least my feet aren't killing me from standing around in line all day'.
Yeah, I kinda blanked after that as well.
3. Participate in Armchair BEA: Armchair BEA is seriously awesome and a good way to meet other people and I love the community feel of participating in stuff like this! We also had a really fun chat yesterday :)
This is actually a valid option, plus you'll be so busy with visiting all the blogs and writing your posts, you won't have time to think about BEA itself (lie, but it does help).
4. Have a #bookishparty: Cass and Judith hosted an AMAZING #bookishparty on Twitter and it was so much fun! And it had drinking games!
5. Buy yourself some books: because buying books can never be a bad thing and it always cheers me up. Plus, I can totally justify it by tallying up all the money I've saved by NOT going to BEA and a couple of books is maybe 5-10% of that.
6. Make plans to go next year: this only works if you're actually going to go next year.
7. Look at a shirtless Gendry: because this makes everything better:
8. If all else fails: have a cocktail and look at other people's pictures till you can pretend you're there yourself.
Posted by Daisy at 5:31:00 AM
Labels: BEA, Daisy, discussion
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
About 5 minutes before I saw this post I began to have major BEA envy. I am truly busy , so I haven't paid attention to the BEA chatter too much. Just a slight wistful thought like "BEA is happening right now.." and on with my day. UNTIL, I made the mistake of checking mu Instagram and seeing all the fun everyone is having! This list however was very helpful to have me calm down a little.ReplyDelete
Awww, I'm glad I could help :) And yeah, the pictures are AWESOME but envy-inducing...Delete
LOL Number 7: Look at a shirtless Gendry, totally made my day.ReplyDelete
Shirtless Gendry always makes my day :DDelete
LOL-I think I'll buy more books.ReplyDelete
Haha, YES MORE BOOKS! :DDelete
I have the BEA blues big time. I really would love to go next year, but it depends on my job situation.ReplyDelete
I hear you... I'd love to go too, but I think ALA might be slightly more affordable...Delete
I've been staring at my Twitter timeline for ages, looking at all the BEA amazement...but then I won a copy of a book that Little Brown was giving away, so I felt like I was there :)ReplyDelete
Oooh, nice! What did you win?? :)Delete
Buy yourself some books -- thanks for giving me the perfect justification! I can buy oodles of books this week because of all the money I saved on airfare and hotels!! I'm loving Armchair BEA -- what a great way to connect. And shirtless Gendry? LOL. That'll cure the blues, whatever the cause.ReplyDelete
Haha, yes, shirtless Gendry always saves the day :DDelete
And yes, this is such a good excuse to buy ALL THE BOOKS! :)
I've got the BEA Blues too, as I'm both happy for my friends that are there and jealous that I can't be there with them. :(ReplyDelete
I'll just sit here and stare at Gendry until I feel better....
Aww, Gendry will make you feel better! Or maybe I should add a shirtless Jon Snow? ;)Delete
And I have the same happy-jealous feeling you do, something should invent a word for this!
2. saved money!ReplyDelete
that's the only think I've got, I wish I was in NYC nowwwww
LOL I love this list. You are funny :) Not all of us can take off work and travel to attend a conference that is for a hobby, so we make do hehe.ReplyDelete
Thanks, I try ;)Delete
And yeah, I did have the week off, but a ticket from Holland to NY is way expensive...
Yay for #BookishParty! So much fun : )ReplyDelete
It really was!! :DDelete
I definitely plan on following each and every one of these tips religiously. Especially number 5. Because buying books always helps! :)ReplyDelete
Haha, it sure does :)Delete
Thanks for the shoutout, Daisy :D I had the best time doing the bookish party with Cassie - and everyone! I think that I will just eat all the things with chocolate and look at shirtless Gendry while trying not to cry over everyone's pictures. Hey, maybe we WILL go one day ;)ReplyDelete
Oh, definitely! We really need to go!! All of us Dutchies can go together :)Delete
And the bookish party was so much fun!!
Great suggestions! This time last year I hadn't heard of BEA, so am really glad to have found ArmchairBEA so I can pop around to so many blogs and meet knew people.ReplyDelete
Armchair BEA is such a wonderful event! I'm loving meeting new people as well :)Delete
LOL I did exactly ALL of those things. Armchair BEA and BookishParty were definitely the hightlights!ReplyDelete
And I just finished ordering a ton of books too!
I totally have BEA blues =/ #5 and #7 are my favorite! And I am TOTALLY checking out Armchair BEA.ReplyDelete
I am having major BEA blues. I wish I went. ERGH. D:ReplyDelete