Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time..just post what you can!
Top Ten Heroines
Ok, so I had a blast typing this up. I love finding novels with a good heroine. There are some spoilers in here, but I’ve marked them. In no particular order (except for the very first one.)
1. Yelena Zaltana (Study Trilogy)- She is my favorite heroine from any book or movie. She overcomes so much, and becomes an incredible person. She is tough, funny, has a mind of her own, she’s a powerful magician, and overall just a fantastic character.
2. Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)-**KINDA SPOILER WARNING** She can be so aggravating! She’s clueless really. But oh so likable. She loves her family and they always come first. She can’t really hate anyone, even though she says that she does. Plus she’s tough, doesn’t let anyone push her around. And she’s the Mockingjay!
3. Lirael (Abhorson Trilogy) **SPOILER WARNING**- Lirael is just a great character. She starts out as a timid girl who only wishes for what she can’t have. Eventually she becomes a great person, a power magician, Abhorson, AND she’s a librarian! She has one of the coolest pets possible too, who could resist “The Dog”?
4. Hermione Granger- (Harry Potter) Do I really need to explain why I like her? She’s smart, tough, and she puts up with Ron and Harry! I mean, that really deserves consideration. And she slapped Malfoy, which is a win in my book. (Pardon the pun)
5. Lyra “Silvertongue”Belacqua-( His Dark Materials Trilogy) Honestly, how can you not like her? She’s just a kid but she’s tough and has a snarky sense of humor.
6. Flavia de Luce (Falvia de Luce) - Much too smart for her own good and endlessly entertaining. You have to love the 11 year old girl that figures everything out long before the adults do.
7. Nita Callahan (Young Wizards)- She loves books, loves science and would do absolutely anything for her family or her friends.
8. Gemma Doyle (Gemma Doyle series)- Her powers are so different and interesting. She’s determined not to become the person that society thinks she needs to be. No fancy parties and polite conversations for her.
9. Ella (Ella Enchanted) –She’s funny, and tough and she gets the prince in the end!
10. Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice)- She gets to marry Mr. Darcy, enough said. Kidding kidding! But seriously, half of modern heroines are modeled after her. She’s tough, funny and determined to live the life that she wants.
NEXT WEEK'S TOP TEN TUESDAY: Top Ten Words I Love (you know..because we bookish people like our words!)
I'm with you on Katniss and Elizabeth! I haven't read any of the other ones! :/ReplyDelete
Yay Hermione and Elizabeth! I too haven't read any of the others...booReplyDelete
It was tough to choose for this list, and another time I might not choose the same names.ReplyDelete
Hermione and Elizabeth were on my list too! It took me forever to make the list up though; there are so many I like.ReplyDelete
Hermione and Lyra are also on my list :DReplyDelete
I haven't made my list yet, but I totally agree with Katniss, Hermione, Elizabeth, Lyra and Gemma! Yelena wasn't really my kind of heroine, though I did like the books. I'll be posting mine soon!ReplyDelete
Great list! I had Hermione and Katniss too as well a bunch of others.ReplyDelete
There is no overlap between your list and mine! Amazing.ReplyDelete
You have some great choices here - Katniss, Elizabeth Bennett, Yelena and Ella are awesome!ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
I debated with myself about adding Gemma Doyle, but sometimes she is so irritating. I forgot about Hermione. I should go back and add her. I haven't read any Tamora Pierce or Garth Nix. Guess I should.ReplyDelete
I like Elizabeth Bennett...but Persuasion's my book.ReplyDelete
Bev Hankins: I agree 100%. Anne is on my list.ReplyDelete
I love the idea for this list! It actually took me awhile to come up with mine, especially because I was trying really hard not to put ones that other people I'm following had already listed.
How fun was this? What a great topic. I love this meme!ReplyDelete
I'm totally there on Lizzie, Lyra, and Hermione (they all made my list, too :) lol, as if all the other top tens talking about hunger games weren't enough, now it seems like everyone included Katniss on this, too. So need to read those.ReplyDelete
I admire Elizabeth Bennett. She never descends into fear or panic.ReplyDelete
Great "top" list! My fav's from your picks....Hermione, Lyra, and Ella. The last one was unexpected but definitely fits! Happy reading...ReplyDelete
I need to reread Pride and Prejudice! I quite miss Elizabeth's wittiness--and I think I'll be able to appreciate it more.ReplyDelete
And love this week's topic!
Great list! I would add Rose from Vamp AcademyReplyDelete
Oh I did this one too! And I love that you put Laira on here too!ReplyDelete
I loved Yelena from Poison Study too! More people need to read that series.ReplyDelete
Anne Shirley and Una Meredith and Emily Starr... basically all of L.M.M.'s heroines! How could no one say Anne? I'm bewildered.ReplyDelete
Lirael I would agree with. It's quite rare to come across someone who's read the Old Kingdom series as well, though, sadly - they should definitely be wider read.ReplyDelete