Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
I originally wanted to name this top ten the top ten female characters I'd like to bitch slap...but I didn't want to offend anyone. But,I'm going to go with it for my post,and in a few weeks when we tackle our ten biggest jerks in literature..I'm going to, either on my personal blog or here, refer to them as the top ten guys I'd like to ninja kick in the balls.:P
1. Caroline Bingley from Pride and Prejudice-- I could pretty much just end this Top Ten Tuesday with this one right here! Ugh, I'd love to slap this snotty, meddling little wench to Mars. I mean, she truly is just one bitchy character. Queen bee of all the mean girls. Always dogging Elizabeth all the time! PSH.
2. Nellie from Little House on the Prairie -- These were my favorite books as a child and as a young child I felt the urge to slap this girl. Such an annoying rich brat that felt the need to be a big bully all the time!
3. Amanda from Anna and the French Kiss -- UGH. I hate this girl. That scene in the bathroom made me want to punt her off the Eiffel Tower. Just leave Anna alone...because she freaking rocks!!
4. All the snotty 12 year olds in The Clique --- You are 12. Get over yourselves ladies. Nothing more slappable than unbearably vapid children trying to be women.
5. Sam from Before I Fall -- I just started this one recently and I freaking want to punch her. I haaaate girls like this. However, I'm hoping (and I might have heard rumors) that she redeems herself in the end? Please?
6. Blair from Gossip Girl -- Seriously, I kinda love her...but she really is a mean girl. The show is more fresh in my mind but she's done some crazy bitchy things. She does redeem herself in a lot of ways but you can't deny her a place on the mean girl list.
7. Regina from Some Girls Are -- Total bitch....yet I found myself feeling sorry for her?!
Ok...so I'm a little short of 10...but I've been feeling ill so I hope you all can forgive me for not wanting to think anymore! :P
So you are some of the biggest bitches/mean girls you've encountered in books?
Click here to see next week's topic AND topics through June!!
I loved this topic!ReplyDelete
I don't know many of the characters on your list but from the sound of it I've seen their kind and would have to agree!
Great post! I completely agree with the ones I have read. Although, Sam in Before I Fall DOES redeem herself! Promise! So, I don't hate her too much. I just remember the good times. ;)ReplyDelete
I LOVED your number 4. Seriously, there is nothing that annoys me quite as much as a bratty, vain, "cool" 12 year-old who think she is 25. It drives me crazy!ReplyDelete
I would also have to add Bella Swan circa New Moon. Her empty months where all she did was scream from the Edward-shaped hole inside? Made me want to slap her out of it. And I know it's a little mean, but I would also add Lydia from P&P to the list. I honestly think she may be TSTL (too stupid to live) flouncing around and getting into inappropriate situations... Gah
Apparently, I am a violent reader.
Caroline Bingley really is the ultimate nasty, jealous mean girl, lol. She was my #1 too. And I also had Sam from Before I Fall, I just could not like her or her friends at all. Even at the end.ReplyDelete
Yep, Caroline Bingley is going to show up on a lot of lists! This is such a fun topic.ReplyDelete
This is such a great topic. I had quite a bit of fun with it.ReplyDelete
Off the top of my head I can come up with six or so....ReplyDelete
6. Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose - To Kill a Mockingbird: Scout tells you right out the women is just "plain hell"
5. Melanie - GWTW: Granted not a classic mean girl but she played the victim to the extreme and earned the title in her own way.
4. Daisy Buchanan - Great Gasby: Shallow self centered all about the money etc...
3. Lady Brett - The Sun Also Rises: She had what three men trailing after her when she finally ran off with the bull fighter.
2. Countess Ellen Olenska - Age of Innocence: Another swoop in, damage everything and everyone then leave town type.
1. And last but not least there is of course the original mean girl (If you don't count Lady McBeth I guess) Marquise de Merteuil - From Les Liaisons Dangereuses: You've gotta give props to the original mean girl which all others are forever modeled after. This tale even reported scandalized/entertained Marie Antoinette
Ha! Yes Nellie. Everyone loved to hate her.ReplyDelete
Here are mine . . .
I found this week's topic quite tricky - I expect it's much easier if you're into YA!ReplyDelete
Wish I had thought to add Caroline Bingley to my list. She truly is loathsome.ReplyDelete
Yes, Caroline Bingley definitely needed an attitude adjustment!ReplyDelete
I'm seeing some of the same characters appear on everyone's lists! Great list! :) :) :)ReplyDelete
I thought of Nellie (Little House...), or actually, TV Tropes thought of Nellie, but I didn't think her machinations were quite epic enough.ReplyDelete
Of course, I modified my criteria a bit, since I read very little YA...
Top Ten Mean Girls (actually around 4-5 Mean Girls and 3 Magnificent Bitches)
I almost went with Caroline Bingley, but decided on Kitty Bennet instead. I thought one character from P & P was enough.ReplyDelete
This was a super hard topic and I pretty much failed at it but Caroline Bingley def made my list too. She's so awful and perfect for this topicReplyDelete
Caroline Bingley is a good one! How are her and Mr. Bingley even related??? He's so sweet, and she's such an ice-cold bi-otch.ReplyDelete
I LOVE this topic, and I included Nellie and Caroline Bingley too!ReplyDelete
I agree completely about Nellie. When I was little I'd get so upset while watching Little House on the Prairie my mom would make me stop.ReplyDelete
I didn't find the book version as despicable
Awesome list!!! Here's mine :0)ReplyDelete
(PS thanks for hosting this meme, it's one of my favorites!)
Amber @Me, My Shelf and I
Oh man, I cannot think of ten characters!!!ReplyDelete
Yes! Amanda. She was such a stupid slutface.ReplyDelete
I had Amanda on my list too! Grrr. I hate her so. It didn't occur to me to want to push her off the Eiffel Tower, but now that you mention it...ReplyDelete
LOL! Nellie--she was such a bully.ReplyDelete
This one was hard, but fun.ReplyDelete
Totally agree with your list!!!ReplyDelete
We did ours Harry Potter style! Harry Potter girls only!
Thanks for hosting!!!
I felt the same way about Sam but she does slowly change.ReplyDelete
Love this list! I'm working on creating my own list so that I can participate, as well.ReplyDelete
I had to add a character from a book I hadn't read to make mine up to 10! Though I hadn't thought of Caroline Bingley, she's a good choice.ReplyDelete
Um, wow did you see last night's GG? I mean, really. Because, from where I stand Blair had every right to put S in her place, since she was the one getting on her hypocritical high horse. Serena's just as bad as Blair, at times, I want to punch her more. lol.ReplyDelete
Thanks for including Nellie! I totally forgot about her.ReplyDelete
Here's my list: http://wp.me/pzUn5-nh
This was a fun topic! I completely agree with Amanda from Anna and the French Kiss. She made my list too.ReplyDelete
I could do an entire list just from Jane Austen's novels! How about BOTH of Anne Elliot's sisters in Persuasion; Isabella Thorpe from Northanger Abbey; Fanny Dashwood from Sense & Sensibility; Fanny's cousins Julia & Maria in Mansfield Park. . . have I forgotten anyone? Oh, of course, Mrs. Elton in Emma.ReplyDelete
And Lady Susan in a class by herself. That is all.
Great list. I forgot about Caroline Bingley. Feel better!ReplyDelete
This was a really great topic!
This was a really great topic!
Oooh. All your choices are excellent! And I did find myself feeling bad for Regina also... ;)ReplyDelete
I so agree with Caroline! She's my number 2 xDReplyDelete
Fun one to do!ReplyDelete
soulunsung -- I'm behind on GG so I haven't seen the newest episodes. I'm only on the second season :PReplyDelete
Oh, great list! I started getting all worked up just reading it. I just HATE mean girls!ReplyDelete
So with you on Caroline Bingley! And Sam does improve eventually, but she definitely frustrated me at the beginning of Before I Fall.ReplyDelete
Hello, hello! This meme looks like fun and I'm not sure if I'll participate today, but I just started following your blog and I definitely plan on doing this in the near future! :) Please stop by my blog to follow me back when you have some time. Thanks!ReplyDelete
-Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com
I loved this topic! I've been looking forward to it since you tweeted about it the other week. :)ReplyDelete
Aryelle @ ReadingwiththeFishes
There are going to be a lot of Austen ladies on this list! Good question this week, looking forward to turning the tables on the guys soon enough :)ReplyDelete
Loved this Top Ten post! Fantastic topic. There are so many characters I love to hate! :DReplyDelete
I love this! Thank you for offering something fun to do, and add to our blogs!ReplyDelete
I love this! I saw it on another girls blog I follow and had to participate! Thank you!ReplyDelete
Sam does redeem herself. But seriously, I hated her in the beginning too. I wanted to put down the book and never go back! But by the end, I was really glad I read it.ReplyDelete
First, great compilation! I love the variety in this list. :)ReplyDelete
Second, I accidentally posted my link twice, once with the URL as the name. *rolls eyes*