Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Jamie's Top Ten Most Unfortunate Character Names
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!
Next week's topic is: Top Ten Villains, Criminals and Degenerates. To see a list of future topics through January go here.
Have you ever been somewhere and a name gets called for whatever reason and you just cringe and you think, "What the heck were their parents thinking? Did the drugs not wear off when the name was picked or are they just cruel sadists who wanted their child to endure relentess torture for being named Sally Mangina, Dick Swett, or Coco Crisp." I've seen celebrities naming their children the most absurd names as well. Apple? What kind of a name is Apple? So I decided to embark on the challenge of coming up with the most unfortunate names in literature.
1. Katniss from The Hunger Games-- I'm sorry but all I can think of is Catnip.
2. Bucky Wunderlick from Don DeLillo's Great Jones Street -- I haven't read this but it is on my TBR list but really? I understand he's supposed to be a rockstar but that's like social suicide right there.
3. Bilbo Baggins from The Lord of The Rings -- I don't even know where to begin with this one. LOTR really had some horrible names in general lol
4. Mustapha Mond from Brave New World -- I always say this name really funny...remember the part in the Lion King where the hyenas are saying the name Mufasa over and over again. Don't remember? Well, here you go! That's pretty much how I say it except I say MUSTAAAPHA.
5. Peeta from The Hunger Games -- What a hideous name. I always think of pita bread..which is kind of hilarious since his family was a bunch of breadmakers.
6. Encyclopedia Brown -- Loved this series but how horrible to be named after a big ol' book full of facts and information..especially when you are clever. I mean, the boys in my group of friends call another one of our friends Wiki because he thinks he knows everything. lol.
7. Pussy Galore from Goldfinger by Ian Fleming -- Need I say anything? And I'm totally not making this up.
8. Sookie Stackhouse from Dead Until Dark and all the rest of the books in the series-- This name just makes me cringe. Icky.
9. Stargirl Caraway from Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli -- Loved Stargirl but what a crazy name!
10. Beezus from Beezus and Ramona/Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary -- What a horrrrible name! Seriously. I can't help but think of Beavis and Butthead when I hear the name Beezus.