Well hello! It's that time. Time for our annual Secret Santa (I know, I know..Halloween hasn't even happened yet). THE 7th ANNUAL BROKE AND BOOKISH SECRET SANTA OMG. Last year we had 400+ people sign up and let me tell youuuuu....I (Jamie) was feeling it for daaaaays after doing the pairings and emailing. No, literally I messed up my back/spine/butt/whatever could be messed up from sitting so long and it hurt for days. I was convinced I had a blood clot and my husband was slightly annoyed with my moaning in pain. BUT SECRET SANTA-Y CHEER IS WORTH IT GUYS.
So, I guess I'll just get to what you reaaaaally care about -- signups! But before we get started, two things:
1. Please only sign up if you are truly interested and are committed to sending off a package (on time). No seriously, stop and think before you sign up. Can you commit to this? Will you have time and money for it? We have only had a few problems each year (and some got resolved) but I'd like to not have to spend my time chasing people down -- seriously. It's a bummer for the person who doesn't get a package and a bummer for me to have to hunt you down for months after. And guess what....you don't get to sit with us anymore. I keep track of that stuff and no Secret Santa cheer for you if you are Naughty Santa.
2. A word for people outside of the US/Canada who want to participate: if you are outside of US and Canada just know I can't guarantee that you will get somewhere even remotely close to you. I try to work it geographically for you (and I work realllyy hard at it) but it all depends on who signs up and where they are from. That said we typically have a decent number of signups from England and Australia and a bunch in Europe. Last year, as a courtesy, I made a note on this post, that I updated daily, wherein I listed the countries of people who had signed up so you would know where you could potentially send to. So, just be aware, if you sign up and are outside of the US/Canada...I will try my best to pair you with someone close-ish for shipping...but no guarantees. Last year I had some people not realize how much shipping costs would be, so if you are unsure, do a quick check with the countries that I list to see how much it might be.
(Countries outside of US/Canada that people have signed up from so far (as of 10/31): England, Scotland, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Australia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka, China)
Things You Need To Do
1. Send an email to TBTBSecretSanta (at) gmail (dot) com answering the following questions BEFORE November 13th with the answers to the following questions:
*BEFORE November 13th means 11:59pm EST on the 12th though if they slip in the wee hours of the morning while I'm sleeping I'm okay but please don't yell at me when you are past the deadline any later when I'm pairing and I say no...I have extended it too many times in the past but with 400+ participants last year I have to shut it down sometime, sorry)
- Full Name & Address
- Blog URL (also any other social media accounts you might want to share to help your secret Santa out)
- List 10-15 books you'd like to read or a link to a wishlist (please mix it up with older and new releases -- aka maybe things that aren't just available in hardcover right now). DO NOT ASK FOR ARCS please. If your SS wants to throw some in there because they saw it on your Goodreads wishlist or something that's fine but once we had someone ask for mostly ARCs and not everyone has access to an ARC fairy. Also, make sure your Goodreads profile or Amazon wishlist is public at least for the time this runs.
- Genres you read the most:
- List of your bookish preferences (a few fave authors, things you WILL NOT READ, does not prefer used books, prefer hardback or paperback, if you are okay with them not getting you something on your wishlist if they think you will like it etc.)
- Please give a few things you like or things about yourself (to help with your goodie). See below for examples in the guidelines.
* Suggestions for things to add that could be helpful to tell your Secret Santa for the little gift: general info about yourself, if you celebrate Christmas, hobbies you have, your passions, music you love, things you will not eat/are allergic to, smells or flavors you do not like, shows you watch/favorite movies, things you collect, any fandoms you are part of, if would love something native to where your Secret Santa lives, coffee/tea you like, favorite colors, foods you love, your style/aesthetic, favorite animals, things you are obsessed with, etc. etc. Also maybe if you have an e-reader and would be willing to get ebooks or a gift card. Just really anything relevant to your interests that could help them.
- Would you be able to send internationally if needed? Please answer
A. Yes, I would actually prefer to send and receive internationally
B. No, I cannot.
C. Would prefer not to but will if needed
(if you are outside of US and Canada just know I can't guarantee that you will get somewhere even remotely close to you. I try to work it geographically for you but it all depends on who signs up and where they are from. You can check in here where I will be updating this post to see which countries are represented if you are unsure.
- Are you:
a) Under 18
b) Over 18
- Have you participated in this Secret Santa before or is this your first time?
- Which closely resembles what kind of package you will be sending out (I will be pairing people with similar answers so please understand by choosing an answer I'm expecting that to be what you send out ):
a) 1 book and a small gift/candy
b) 1-2 books and a couple goodies
c) 2+ books and goodies
- Is there somebody that your Secret Santa could contact if they have a question for you? Please ask that person before you put their twitter handle or email address here. I get a LOT of emails to me trying to figure out specific things (ie: what's their favorite color? What GoT character is their fave? Do they have this Funko pop?) to make a great package for their Secret Santa so this might be a little less work for me to be the middleman going back and forth and asking the questions and supplying the answers.
- Any questions, comments or additional things your Secret Santa should know?
2. When you receive your Secret Santa match: go play Santa and buy your prezzies -- please read the guidelines below. Send it out no later than December 15th. The earlier the better as the mail is always slow during the holiday season. IF SOMETHING COMES UP PLEASE EMAIL ME. Communication is super for me.
3. After you send off your package, please email TBTBSecretSanta (at) gmail (dot) com letting us know you sent it off WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION/TRACKING (changing it this year, sorry!). Email us again when you receive your package. (Unless there are questions, I will not be responding to these emails due to time but will filing them away). If you have not received your package by January 1st please then email us and I will attempt to contact your Secret Santa. Please understand I will try my damndest to work it out but there is only so much I can do in the event someone decides to be naughty. Karma is a biotch though..maybe they'll get their toes run over by Santa's sleigh.
4. FOR EXTRA FUN: We are going to use the hashtag #TBTBSanta again on Twitter & Instagram for this event! We'd love to hear and see through pictures and tweets your entire process -- maybe a sneak peek of your Secret Santa skills in action (a picture of something you are sending, the wrapped picture, the box) and we'd LOVE to see your goodies as you get them!
SOME VERY IMPORTANT GUIDELINES AND SUGGESTIONS
1. Books can be new or used. Use your discretion as far as used books go but please be kind and don't send something you wouldn't want to receive. They should be in VERY good condition -- like you can't even tell if it was read.
2. When I say "goodies" I do not mean free swag or promotional items. If you want to add that kind of stuff in AFTER you also put in some thoughtful and kind goodies that you thought your person would love...I'm all about that! But when it says books + goodies...the goodies should not JUST be stuff anyone could have picked up at a convention or something.
3. Be thoughtful: 99% of the time the gifts are really sweet and thoughtful and what you would expect but occasionally someone just throws random crap in a box and ships it off to fulfill their end. Don't be that guy. Gifts should be wrapped and there should absolutely be some sort of note in it. Please do not ship directly from Amazon or elsewhere to them (unless you talk to me first...in the past there have been issues that I totally understand where this needed to be the case).
* If you aren't sure what kinds of things to add for goodies peruse the #TBTBsanta thread on Twitter or Instagram to see pictures of packages from last year. Lots of good ideas that will probably help you!
* If you are from outside the US or Canada, be aware that you might have to send internationally due to the fact that there are significantly more US participants and I may not be able to pair you up with someone closer.
* Be sure to thank your Secret Santa when you receive your package via social media or reach out to me for their email!
* Feel free to grab the button to put on your sidebar or make your own!
Please ask any questions in the comments!!
This looks like so much fun! I can't wait to participate!ReplyDelete
Yes! I'm so excited to do this again. :)ReplyDelete
I love Secret Santa and, basically, paying it forward. Count me in!ReplyDelete
Hey! I love Secret Santa but I do am from Europe... I was wondering, is iT possible to sign up under the circumstance that when there aren't any Europenas left, you back out?ReplyDelete
Absolutely! Just make a note that if no other Europeans sign up (which I would be SHOCKED about) that you would like to drop out!Delete
I'm from Italy and I'm definitely gonna to signed up this year and I think a lot of others European fellows are doing the same! I'M SO EXICTED!Delete
I'm living in Germany so that's at least 2 people in Germany! I'm participating for the first time and I can't wait!Delete
So excited! First year I've had the guts to participate - too scared of getting it wrong before!ReplyDelete
It will be fine I'm sure!! :)Delete
I'd love to join in but don't have a blog - is it ok to just have an Instagram/Pinterest account?ReplyDelete
Yep totally okay! Just as long as you have some sort of social media account that is public and updated fairly regular!Delete
This is so exciting. I love the secret Santa. I love doing all the shopping for it.ReplyDelete
Yippee! You're the best. I'm still friends with my past giftees. Love this so much!ReplyDelete
Ooh, this sounds wonderful! I would love to participate, I'll have to go get an email together.ReplyDelete
I haven't had the spare money previously but I really think I want to participate this year! I love giving secret santa gifts and then remembering "oh yeah, I get one back too!" :)ReplyDelete
Loved this last year! Can't wait for this year!ReplyDelete
I really want to take part but I don't have a blog and my social media isn't like dedicated book related accounts is that ok? (obviously I look books and everything related but my accounts just aren't themed to them)ReplyDelete
Just sent in my email for it! Eeeek it sounds like so much fuN!ReplyDelete
If we don't have a blog, can we still participate? I am willing to give my Instagram or FB if necessary.ReplyDelete
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! Thank you, Jamie! =)ReplyDelete
Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!
Super excited about this! Just signed up :)ReplyDelete
Pretty excited, first time I'm doing something like this. Just signed up.ReplyDelete
I was afraid I missed it this year!ReplyDelete
I just signed up!!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for doing this!!!
I'm so glad it this time of year again! Just signed up! :DReplyDelete
I'm so excited to do this! I absolutely love doing secret Santa's!ReplyDelete
Is it wrong that I'm more excited about this than shopping for my own family??ReplyDelete
I signed up and have been paired Woohoo.ReplyDelete
Is it OK to send books via Wordery or similar and the goodies separately? Saves on shipping costs and more parcels for recipient ~ we're all children really when it comes to Christmas press 🎁🎀🎄