Top Ten Tuesday is a fun weekly link-up in the community where we provide a prompt and other lovers of list-making join in on it with their own top ten list. Feel free to have less than 10 or more if you need to at times and put a spin on the topic if you need to! Just please link back to us if you are participating! :)
For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!
1. Jordan from Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally: I'm such a bah-bah black sheep in my opinion of this book, but I was just not feeling and really not connecting with Jordan at all. I'm still really sad about this.
2. Quentin from The Magicians by Lev Grossman: Quentin and I did not get along. Like there was serious dislike going around. I felt that he was arrogant, whiny, lazy... Just not qualities I like in a character.
3. Honor from The Trouble with Honor by Julia London: Never in my romance novel life have I ever felt so much disconnect with the heroine that I stopped reading until this book. She was so frustratingly annoying that I knew if I ever met her in real life we would not mesh well. I just couldnt muster the strength to care about her happily ever after.
4. Cole from the Everneath Series by Brodi Ashton: Oh Cole. He is really a character I love to hate. Like I can't stand him as he interacts with the other characters, but I give a lot of respect to Brodi Ashton for writing a character so well that I can loath him so much. I didn't understand the love this guy got as an antihero either. He was just a jerk, doing jerk things and always surprising me with new levels for me to loathe him.
5. Elizabeth from Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando: Elizabeth was fine for most of the book, but MAN, she got on my nerves toward the end! I didn't really click with her for any of the book, but some parts I wish someone had sat her down and given her a good talking-to.
6. Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins: I loved Anna and the French Kiss, so I expected to love this one just as much. I liked it okay. I did not jive with Lola and her kookiness, or her stubbornness in being with the older boyfriend whose name I've already forgotten. I remember the boy next door was Cricket. I know I am in the minority. #sorrynotsorry
**Sorry for not coming up with ten picks for our list this week. It was harder than we expected!**
This list was hard and I had to really search around for characters it seemed, because I overlook faulty characters quickly in favor of ones that I really like anyway. My TTT is a mishmash for sure.ReplyDelete
I felt like this was a hard topic this week, which is funny, because there are plenty of books I didn't click with--but I guess few of them had to do with the characters, necessarily. Whiny characters are definitely a turnoff for me!ReplyDelete
Great post! I haven't actually read any of the books on your list, but whiny and arrogant characters are just the worst, ugh. I can imagine this week's topic was quite hard!ReplyDelete
This list ended up being harder than I expected it to be. And I'm really glad to see Quentin from The Magicians made it onto someone else's list!ReplyDelete
I'm glad to see Quentin and Lola on someone else's list, and for the same reasons!ReplyDelete
I didn't click with Honor either ... My TTTReplyDelete
Great lists! I haven't read any of these, but this isn't the first time today I've seen Quentin and Lola mentioned. I'd like to check out The Magicians to see what I think of it, but I don't think I'm ever going to be all that interested in Lola and the Boy Next Door or any of the other books in that companion trilogy.ReplyDelete
I think I felt that way about all of the characters from The Magicians! I keep being tempted to reread it and see if it was a mood thing, but I don't think I was very impressed...ReplyDelete
Yeah, I kinda didn't click with any of the characters either, but Quentin stands out for me ;) I wasn't all that impressed with the writing either, so I'm just gonna accept that I didn't like it.Delete
Great post!! I take the same article!ReplyDelete
I read and LOVED Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally and added Catching Jordan to my TBR list. I included a character from Lola and the Boy next door this week, but it wasn't Lola. I also considered adding Cole from Everneath. Great list!!ReplyDelete
Here is my TTT: http://www.jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2015/09/top-ten-tuesday-characters-i-just-didnt.html
Totally agree about Jordan. She's the only protagonist in Miranda Kenneally's books I didn't click with. I was put off reading the others for ages then binge read them all on a couple of days once I moved onto book 2ReplyDelete
Ooh, that's good to know! I've been avoiding her books cause I very much didn't enjoy Catching Jordan, you may have convinced me to give her another shot! :)Delete
I could not STAND Jordan from Catching Jordan!ReplyDelete
I loved Cole though, in the love to hate him kind of way...I always have a soft spot for villains :P
Honor was a character I couldn't get into either and I'm surprised that there is someone else who felt the same!ReplyDelete
I didn't click with Lola either, and for the same reasons! My TTT: https://thatgirlandherbooks.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/top-10-characters-i-just-didnt-click-with/ReplyDelete
My super belated list :) (so busy with the Decatur Book Fest): http://vonzereader.blogspot.com/2015/09/ten-characters-you-just-didnt-click-with.htmlReplyDelete
Uck! I thought the same about Quentin from The Magicians! I thought he treated Alice horridly and didn't really care what happened to him. In fact, I found the Magician King at a library book sale for .50 and didn't even bother picking it up.ReplyDelete