For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!
All about the visuals: Top Ten Favorite Graphic Novels/Comics or Ten Comics on My TBR or Top Ten Favorite Picture Books
Julia's Picks:These are the manga that I was really into in high school or early college
1. Hana-Kimi by Hisaya Nakajo translated by David Ury - I seriously loved Hanakimi. I watched the Taiwaneese drama too. It was about a girl who fell for a high jumper guy on TV so she disguises herself as a boy to go to his school to get to know him. It's ridiculous and awesome.
2. Love Hina by Ken Akamatsu - A manga I actually finished! I liked this one a lot. If i recall it was about a guy in college studying and living with a bunch of women. I just remember it being hilarious.
3. Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya translated by Alethea Nibley - I never actually finished this series, but I was really enjoying it. It's about these twelve guys who are all tied to a member of the zodiac, and there is a cat who got left out. And somehow the main girl fits in... it's been a while. But I actually one day want to go back and finish this.
Here are some of my favorite picture dominated kid's books to get for my cousin's kids
4. Press Here by Hervé Tullet translated by Christopher Franceschelli - I love this book. It is so simple in its concept. There is a circle, then you press it, turn the page and now there is two circles. My 3 - 6 year old cousins adore it. I get it for everyone I know who has kids. (Jamie co-signs this one!!)
5. Maps by Aleksandra and Daniel Mizielinksi - I got this book for my 7 year old cousin on his birthday. He wasnt as excited as normal about a book he could not read, but in talking my cousin later, he apparently loves going back to it and being like "look how many countries are in Africa". There was an older cousin at his birthday that I think would be the perfect age for a book like this, she was about 10 - 12. But it a really cool book with great visuals from around the world.
Jana's Pick:6. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - I love the snark and the feisty heroine. The story is also super entertaining, being both funny and even tender in places. Plus the illustrations are so well done and show so much emotion!
7. Saga by Brian K Vaughn: I cannot get enough of this comic series!!!!! Sci-fi goodness!!
8. Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughn: Yes I am a bit of a Brian K. Vaughn fangirl apparently. Sci-fi, set in the 80's, kickass ladies.
9. Red River Chie Shinohara -- I wasn't wild about the art style at first but soon fell in love with the characters and the story. The character development is absolutely incredible. MA warning.
10. Naussicaa of the Valley of the Wind -- Love the movie and love the manga even more! Such incredible story telling.
Tell us your fave graphic novels/comics!
I decided to interpret this week's topic for Top 10 Visuals as ten of my favorite aesthetically pleasing covers! :)ReplyDelete
Fruits Basket and Saga were on my list as well!ReplyDelete
wow I can't believe I forgot Fruits Basket!! o.oReplyDelete
I love Saga! So glad to see that it's mentioned!ReplyDelete
I've done Top Ten Picture Books That Just Aren't For Children! Loved this one, it was fun!!!ReplyDelete
Nice! Have to say these are all new to me ones!ReplyDelete
Here's my Tuesday Post
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower :)
Glad to see Nimona made the list. That is one of my favorites too.ReplyDelete
I'm not a big comic/graphic novel reader, so these are all new to me. adding lots to my list today!ReplyDelete
I can't believe I forgot to add Nimona! I'll have to check out some of the others ya'll mentioned. :)ReplyDelete
I really want to read the Saga series one of these days.ReplyDelete
I choose big coffee table books--all photos or reproductions of art for my "visual." I'm not into graphic novels and such.ReplyDelete
Love Hana Kimi!!!ReplyDelete
I don't read graphic novels regularly so I am getting some good recommendations from the linkup. Thanks.ReplyDelete
Love Hina! I read the whole series at least three times, two summers in a row. I have such a great memory of this series!ReplyDelete
I also love Saga, and just ordered Paper Girls. Sounds so good!
Locke & Key is probably the best comic book series I've ever read so far. Highly recommend!
I'd like to read Nimona!
I linked some favourite picture books for art & book lovers - didn't get to 10 though.ReplyDelete
I loved Fruits Basket! I think it was the first manga I ever finished. I need to reread that one again...ReplyDelete