For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!
This Week's Topic
Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books We've Read In The Past Year Or So
To narrow my list down, I chose books that had less than 500 reviews on Goodreads.
This was one of those crazy ass novels that will make you WANT to lose your mind. I loved it. You'd love it. Read it.
The characters' emotions in this book left me reeling, exhausted, and honestly kind of powerful. No matter what your culture may ask of you, you are your own person and can decide what you want your life to be.
A novelist who dives deep to catch his next big book break to take care of his family, a cult leader behind bars just giving this father enough to stay interested in his story, and a bored daughter who begins to find this infamous cult leader a tad interesting. Yes, yes, yes... to all the above.
Aren't you already interested just from the title? Yeah, I was too. But this was post-apocalyptic sci-fi at its best. The main characters will break your heart in the best possible way.
5. Iron Cast by Destiny Soria: Out of all the 2016 releases I read I really think this is one that went under the radar! It's a wonderful historical fantasy with two best friends you will absolutely fall in love with!
6. Walking On Trampolines by Frances Whiting: This is definitely one of the most underrated adult fiction books I read recently. It's such a gem of a novel and if you like rich characters (albeit not always likeable) and lots of complicated friendship and family goodness...pick this one up!
7. Summers At Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn: I read this book in March of 2016 and I just can't stop thinking about it. I want to reread it soon because it really just was the most delightful little fantasy gem. I had picked it up at the library on a whim because I had heard of people talk about Sharon Shinn but I had never heard of this particular novel as one that people talked about. DEFINITELY a hidden gem as it is an older YA fantasy!
8. Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies by Laura Stampler: This is another 2016 release that I think went under the radar and was such a fun underrated romp for me! If you are looking for a light ~chick-lit~ type read in the vein of classic Sophie Kinsella or Meg Cabot...you have to check this one out!
9. The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearn: Another audio book gem. Who doesn't love a guy that quotes Shakespeare? The show gets stolen by Oberon every single time. He is hands down my favorite from literature. Not even just a favorite animal, but one of my favorite characters!
10. Stolen Songbird by Danielle Jensen : Loose Beauty and the Beast retelling. Trolls. Magic. Mystery. Amazing world building. Banter. Smart, capable lead characters. Enticing romance. Read it! It's a trilogy and all of the books are out now.
What hidden gems or underrated books have you guys read lately?