For the future Top Ten schedule and how to participate go HERE!
This week we're picking our top ten books to read when you need something light and fun. Every once in a while I need something like this, so here are some of my favorites. And surprise, they are heavily skewed toward YA. But I do throw in some cozy mysteries! So there.
1. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. Really, you can get any lighter or more fun than Louise Rennison. These books (the Georgia Nicholson series) are pure silliness, and I love it.
2. The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy. I am reading this right now, and it is awesome. Super funny, with completely unique Princes Charming (get it right) who are obviously not perfect but still good guys. And did I mention it is funny?
3. Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt. This one has a little more depth, but it's still very light and happy. It's a nice pick me up.
4. Withering Tights by Louise Rennison. Sort of a spin-off series of the Georgia Nicholson books, following her 14-year-old cousin Tallulah as she goes through performing arts school. Again, pure silliness, and lots of laughing.
5. Cool Beans by Erynn Mangum. This one is a Christian fiction title so it might only work for Christians, but I love her books.
6. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. If you like your light and fun books with adventure and a bit of danger, and some time travel, this is definitely a great choice.
7. Mai Tai One On by Jill Marie Landis. The first in a new series, this cozy mystery takes place on the island of Kauai and has a troupe of old lady hula dancers. Hijinks ensue.
8. Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash by Dixie Cash. Another first in a mystery/romance series, these are pretty funny with firecracker characters.
9. Take a Chance On Me by Jill Mansell. Or anything by Jill Mansell. Shenanigans!
10. The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex. Sure, it's about an alien invasion and there is a TON of crap to unpack with this one (part of why I love it), but it's just so damn funny and fun. The best sci fi out there, in my opinion.
I have to admit, while I was compiling this, I kept wanting to write down super dark and depressing and heavy books and say "No, just kidding. This one is the opposite." Did that happen for anyone else, or am I just twisted?
Anyway, these are all pretty much guaranteed to put a smile on your face. What are your picks?