Hey everyone! I'm Jen, I'm 24 and I live in Rhode Island. I've really enjoyed contributing to the blog this past year. This week has been my favorite because it has also given me the chance to get to know my fellow contributors better! I love reading and it's been so nice to find other people who love to read as much as I do! You can also find me on Goodreads and Twitter.
1. What were some of your favorite books as a child?
My three favorite books growing up were Little House on the Prairie, Charlotte's Web and Island of the Blue Dolphins. I remember reading those over and over and over. I also liked the Magic School Bus, the Babysitter's Club, Goosebumps, the Boxcar Children, and the Little Golden books.
2. Favorite books quote:
I'm going to cheat and list two:
"Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories" (Fahrenheit 451)
"Never did she find anything so difficult as to keep herself from losing her temper when she was suddenly disturbed while absorbed in a book. People who are fond of books know the feeling of irritation which sweeps over them at such a moment. The temptation to be unreasonable and snappish is one not easy to manage" (A Little Princess).
3. What do your bookshelves look like and how do you organize them?
I have two small bookcases and a random shelf that I keep my books on. A couple weeks ago I reorganized all of my book storage and donated a bunch of books to the library. I was so happy! No more piles of books on the floor! Then I moved a box and there was a pile of books behind it. Organization fail. That pile of books may or may not still be sitting on the floor. I don't really have a organizational system. Really I only prefer having all hardcovers together and I keep books by the same authors together on the shelf. Other than that it's pretty random.
4. Book that changed your life and why?
The Hunger Games trilogy and Twilight. Both got me back into reading. Once I started college I pretty much never picked up a book for leisure. After I graduated I had a lot more free time (no more papers to write, no more studying) and honestly didn't know what to do with myself. One day I was in Target and saw The Hunger Games. The title caught my attention. I read the summary and didn't think I would like it but for some reason I bought the book and ended up loving it! A couple months later two girls I worked with talked me into reading Twilight. I had been resisting, didn't want to give into the hype but I'm actually glad I read it! Now I just have to give into the Harry Potter craze, I haven't read any of those books yet.
5. What are you currently reading?
I started reading Suite Francaise while my car was being inspected the other day. I've been meaning to read this book for a year and for some reason I'm just now getting around to it. I'm not too far into it but I'm really enjoying it. I just got Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Crank from the library and I'll be reading those next.
Five Random Facts:
1. Since the beginning of the year I've really gotten into running. I track my time and distance so I can tell when I'm improving, and I love that I can tell how much I've improved over the past few months. By the end of the summer I'd like to run a 5K but I'm not quite there yet.
2. I don't know why but I love buying "touristy" t-shirts when I go somewhere. It's usually just a shirt with the state/city name but I buy them and wear them on my lazy days around the house.
3. One day I want to live in a palm tree climate. I love palm trees and wish I could have one in my backyard. Unfortunately our winters are too harsh.
4. I have an obsession with roasted broccoli and macaroni & cheese. I make both at least once a week for lunch or dinner. Delicious.
5. The top three places I'd love the visit are Australia, Ecuador and Prague. Prague actually tops the list and an honorable mention goes to Paris.
Giveaway! I am giving away one copy of Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and one copy of A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Solider. I have reviewed both books on the blog.
+ You don't have to be a follower but since it IS our blogoversary & we are celebrating our time in the blogosphere...we'd LOVE for you to check out the blog!
+ Open to International folks
+ Giveaway ends July 10
+ One entry per person
Fill out this form. You are able to enter for both books!