Hi everyone! I'm Heather and I'm a 25 year old Massachusetts native living in the lovely state of California. I'm the newest contributor at The Broke and the Bookish, and although I've only been blogging here for about 6 months, I've had my own blog (Recklessly Reading) for almost a year now. You can also find me tweeting about books and blogging at @recklessreader. I've had such a blast since joining the book blogging world and it's been so great to share my love of reading with others, although my current job makes it somewhat difficult to read and blog as much as I would like to. Anyway! Read onward to get to know a little more about me :)
Strangest encounter you've had while reading a book or while at a bookstore, book event, etc.? Last time I was in Borders, I was browsing the shelves when a young woman talking on her cell phone came up to me and after telling the person on the phone to hold on a second, she said "Excuse me but I just wanted to let you know that I'm getting really good vibes from you right now. You just have this really wonderful aura and I knew I had to tell you right away. Something was telling me I had to come into this store and find you." It was such a weird thing for someone to say to me that I just stood there for a minute awkwardly before walking away.
Do any of your friends, family or significant other share your passion? None of my friends or family share the same strong passion for reading like I do, but my mom does try to read when she can and many of my friends come to me when they are looking for a new book to read. My boyfriend is really trying hard to get into reading because he knows how much I love it but our tastes are so opposite. It's really weird for me to not even know where to begin when buying books for him.
|My favorite reading spot!|
Book that changed your life and why? Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince is the book that really turned me back on to reading. After spending much of my childhood devouring books (probably at an unhealthy rate), my reading really dropped off between late middle school and midway through college. I had started The Half Blood Prince probably about two years prior to when I actually picked it back up to finish. Once I picked it back up, I couldn't stop reading, and I really haven't stopped since then. I started keeping a list of all the books I read and setting goals for myself each year, beginning with that book.
5 random facts about me!
1. I have an extra rib. They call it a floating rib because it just kind of hangs out around my collarbone/neck. It doesn't actually move and you can't see it, but sometimes I have people touch it to freak them out. It sounds creepier than it really is, I promise!
2. I'm really obnoxious when it comes to burping. My cousin taught me how to burp when I was little and it's something I'm far too proud of. I've had way too many burping contests with guys that I've won proudly.
|One of my favorite photos that I've taken with my Supersampler camera|
3. One of my hobbies aside from reading is photography. I love collecting toy cameras that have fun effects. I used to be obsessed with polaroids and I have hundreds of old photos from college but now I'm building my collection of lomographic cameras.
4. I have an awful memory when it comes to important things but I will remember random things from when I was little, like old friends phone numbers or the birthday of someone I hardly knew.
5. I played softball for about 15 years and at one point when I was in high school I was playing for 3 different teams at once. One of those teams I was also the assistant coach for and another I was a team captain. Now that I'm out of school and getting older, I'm going a little crazy not being so busy with sports. I've been thinking about getting into coaching a local girls team but I feel a little creepy since I'm not a parent or relative of any players.
I'm giving away a copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan to one lucky winner!
+ You don't have to be a follower but since it IS our blogoversary and we are celebrating our time in the blogosphere...we'd LOVE for you to check out the blog!
+ Open internationally
+ Giveaway ends July 8
+ Fill out the form below to enter!
You have SO much room for books! We definitely need to change that. I love how you admit to being proud of burping. That is so awesome. I especially love the fact that you compete, and beat, men at their own game!ReplyDelete
You have so many books!
My family and friends don't share my passion for readind either :(
And thanks for the giveaway!
Your apartment sounds so cool. A loft and a rooftop patio. How fun. When I lived in CA, I never found any with rooftop patios.ReplyDelete
LOL I love that you just walked away from that woman. I would have done the same!ReplyDelete
& can I tell you how jealous I am of all the space you have for more books? Awesome!
Thanks for giving us the chance to learn more about you, Heather!
I could never be able to organize my bookshelf, the truth is I don't have much space.
Thanks for the giveaway.
ROFL at your awkward bookstore anecdote. I was also approached in a bookstore by someone who liked the look of me . . . and I was just as weirded out when it turned out he wanted to buy me a Koran and give me his number so that he could guide me through it. =/ A very sincere sort of "pick up" but not the romantic one I would have chosen instead. =P
And I totally envy you for having so much space for new books! It does make sense to have the unread ones next to your bed, aye? No better time to start a new book than right before bedtime, when you have to get up really early the next day! ;-) LOL!
Can I use some of your extra space for my books? :) Thanks for the giveaway!ReplyDelete