Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time...just post what you can!
This week's topic is strays a little bit from the norm of our usual topics about bookish things. But any reader should I have a good appreciation for words!
'Top Ten Words I Love'
1. Atrocious: "Utterly revolting, or of very poor quality". This is one of my favorite words to use when describing something I don't like.
2. Facetiously: "Joking or jesting often inappropriately". I love this word because all five vowels are in alphabetical order. I know there are other words like this, but this is the first one I remember learning.
3. Lackadaisical: "Lacking life, spirit, or zest". This is such a fun word to say, which seems kind of ironic considering the definition.
4. Dessert: "A usually sweet course or dish (as of pastry or ice cream) usually served at the end of a meal". I love dessert. Cake, pie, cookies, pudding, brownies, ice cream, you name it I will devour it (especially if it has chocolate in it).
5. Wanderlust: "Strong longing for or impulse toward wandering". Ahh..the travel bug. I love traveling to new places and exploring.
6. Onomatopoeia: "The use of words whose sound suggests the sense". Another fun word to say and I love words that are onomatopoeia's: buzz, hiss, beep, knock, sizzle, zap, squish.
7. Oxymoron: "A combination of contradictory or incongruous words (such as cruel kindness)". Ever since I was first taught this word in elementary school I've pictured an 'ox' and a 'moron' in my head.
8. Surreptitious: "Done, made, or acquired by stealth". It's like clandestine...but way cooler.
9. Pterodactyl: "Any of various pterosaurs (suborder Pterodactyloidea) of the Late Jurassic and Cretaceous having a rudimentary tail and a beak with reduced dentition". My favorite dinosaur! Who doesn't love dinosaurs?
10. Beach: "A shore of a body of water covered by sand, gravel, or larger rock fragments; a seashore area". I've always lived within 15 minutes of the ocean. I love it, it's one of my favorite places to be.
*All definitions are from Merriam-Webster Online.
What are your favorite words? Please join in, even if you can't think of ten words!
Next week's Top Ten Tuesday is: Top Ten Books I'm Dying To Read