Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Top Ten Characters Paula would switch places with for 24 hours
I have a feeling that this might be a more difficult TTT than expected. Mainly because I have to limit my life switching to 24 hours- and really that probably wouldn't be enough time for me to adequately be this character... but here it goes.
1. Lyra Belacqua/Silvertongue from His Dark Materials- So I'll let Lyra keep all the crazy adventuring and getting stolen and saving the world stuff. But if I could just hang out with Iorek Byrnison for 24 hours I would be most pleased. She's a really awesome character, but I am just forever jealous of her hanging out with the Bear King
2. Gertrude from Runaways- This is one of my favorite comic series. And again... don't know if I really want Gertrude's life persay... but she has a psychically linked Velociraptor that adores her and protects her. And I can't even begin to explain how desperately I want a pet raptor. I guess instead of being Gerty for 24 hours... I just wish I could steal Old Lace from her
3. Thursday Next from The Thursday Next series- Alright- finally a character that I'm not just trying to steal their animal companion... Thursday is a literary detective which means she gets to solve lots of really neat mysteries AND SHE GETS TO GO INSIDE OF BOOKS. What makes her really special in her alt. universe is her ability to book jump and other characters try to use her because of it. She gets to hang out with Jane Eyre, Ms. Havisham, and The Queen of Hearts. I just wish I could jump into my favorite book for a day or two
4. Buttercup from The Princess Bride- Just a few words on this one: aaasssss yoouuuuu wisshhhhh
Sidenote: This is surprisingly difficult because it's making me realize how many dystopian/apocalyptic novels I read and how many characters I DON'T want to switch places with....
5. Wendy from Peter Pan- I've always always wanted to escape to Neverland. When I was growing up I was convinced that Peter was going to land on my window sill. If I could just trade spots with Wendy for a day and see the magic that is Neverland- it would be a childhood dream come true
6. Milo from The Phantom Tollbooth- Okay... maybe I wasn't done hanging out with character's companions. Tock is just such a fantastic Watchdog. Also- since Milo's journey really only took him an afternoon- I could visit all the places he did and meet the Princesses of Rhyme and Reason...and eat subtraction soup. and and and... be in yet another book that so completely shaped my childhood
7. Lirael from The Abhorsen Trilogy- Uh oh... doing it again. Moggat and The Disreputable Dog are just really fantastic characters. The series also has a really interesting magic system- and it would be neat to be a necromancer and send evil things back where they belong (but also kind of scary...)
I honestly can't really think of other characters I want to switch with... because as much as I love Katniss from the Hunger Games or Amy from The Passage- I would definitely not want to be them or in their worlds for 24 hours...
What about you guys? What 10 (or 8... or however many) characters would you want to be for a day?