For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!
This Week's Topic
Top Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books We've Read In The Past Year Or So
To narrow my list down, I chose books that had less than 500 reviews on Goodreads.
This was one of those crazy ass novels that will make you WANT to lose your mind. I loved it. You'd love it. Read it.
The characters' emotions in this book left me reeling, exhausted, and honestly kind of powerful. No matter what your culture may ask of you, you are your own person and can decide what you want your life to be.
A novelist who dives deep to catch his next big book break to take care of his family, a cult leader behind bars just giving this father enough to stay interested in his story, and a bored daughter who begins to find this infamous cult leader a tad interesting. Yes, yes, yes... to all the above.
Aren't you already interested just from the title? Yeah, I was too. But this was post-apocalyptic sci-fi at its best. The main characters will break your heart in the best possible way.
5. Iron Cast by Destiny Soria: Out of all the 2016 releases I read I really think this is one that went under the radar! It's a wonderful historical fantasy with two best friends you will absolutely fall in love with!
6. Walking On Trampolines by Frances Whiting: This is definitely one of the most underrated adult fiction books I read recently. It's such a gem of a novel and if you like rich characters (albeit not always likeable) and lots of complicated friendship and family goodness...pick this one up!
7. Summers At Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn: I read this book in March of 2016 and I just can't stop thinking about it. I want to reread it soon because it really just was the most delightful little fantasy gem. I had picked it up at the library on a whim because I had heard of people talk about Sharon Shinn but I had never heard of this particular novel as one that people talked about. DEFINITELY a hidden gem as it is an older YA fantasy!
8. Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies by Laura Stampler: This is another 2016 release that I think went under the radar and was such a fun underrated romp for me! If you are looking for a light ~chick-lit~ type read in the vein of classic Sophie Kinsella or Meg Cabot...you have to check this one out!
9. The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearn: Another audio book gem. Who doesn't love a guy that quotes Shakespeare? The show gets stolen by Oberon every single time. He is hands down my favorite from literature. Not even just a favorite animal, but one of my favorite characters!
10. Stolen Songbird by Danielle Jensen : Loose Beauty and the Beast retelling. Trolls. Magic. Mystery. Amazing world building. Banter. Smart, capable lead characters. Enticing romance. Read it! It's a trilogy and all of the books are out now.
What hidden gems or underrated books have you guys read lately?
There's a few of these on my TBR (Iron Cast, Summers at Castle Auburn and Stolen Songbird) so they are at least on my radar and I'm glad to hear y'all liked them! I also totally agree that Oberon is THE BEST.ReplyDelete
I still have to read Hounded and Stolen songbird!ReplyDelete
Oh nice! Lots of new to me ones here but I've read Hounded! Love that series, but so behind now! I still need to read the ones that were in hardcover! LOL! I like Stolen Songbird too, but I was very upset about the series finale and it totally made me see the series as a whole in a different way. It was just so upsetting to me and I didn't like it.ReplyDelete
Here's my Tuesday Post
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower :)
I've seen Hounded around a bit, but haven't ever picked up the series. Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies looks like one I would really enjoy! Killing my TBR here :)ReplyDelete
I haven't read any of these. Walking on Trampolines caught my eye, though.ReplyDelete
The only one there familiar to me is the Iron Druid Chronicles, which I've wanted to listen to for a LONG time! Harrowgate sounds REALLY good!!ReplyDelete
Here's my TTT:
I love that you put Good Morning, Midnight on this list! It was one of my favorites from last year, but I hardly see it around the blogging world!ReplyDelete
Iron Cast sounds amazing! This is definitely going on my TBR list.ReplyDelete
I'm really glad to see Iron Cast on the list! I've been wanting to read it since before it came out and finally bought it last month. I can't wait to get to it :)ReplyDelete
Within These Walls and Good Morning, Midnight are on my TBR list. I hope I like them as much as you did. Great list!ReplyDelete
Aj @ Read All The Things!
These all sound so good! A few of these went onto my TBR on Goodreads. I have such a love/hate relationship with how fast it's growing nowadays.ReplyDelete
Added five of these to my TBR list so far. Thanks!ReplyDelete
This is the 2nd time I've seen Hounded highly recommended on audio. I think that's a sign for me to get it read!ReplyDelete
Hi, I tried to add my list to the link up twice now, but it does not add me to the list out of some reason. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong? ThanksReplyDelete
Claudia @ Within The Pages Of A Book
Oh man, there are definitely going to be more books added to my TBR list after this link up. lol! I've already added 2 from your list alone. lol Great list!ReplyDelete
Wow, so many of these sound interesting! Hounded and Stolen Songbird might have to go on my TBR; Summers at Castle Auburn is the favorite of a friend of mine and I *still* haven't read it yet; Within These Walls sounds interesting but maybe a little creepy 0.0ReplyDelete
I hadn't heard of a single one of these--this is a GREAT top ten topic (except for my poor TBR list). I'm interested in numbers 1-7. I appreciate that you give a sense of the book without giving anything away.ReplyDelete
Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies and Stolen Songbird have been on my wishlist for ages - I NEED to get to them! *_*ReplyDelete
Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
My TTT Post!
i dont know any of these authors! Love the cover of the Holly Bodger novelReplyDelete